Who would have thought you could make pancakes without eggs, milk or gluten? Sounds weird but luckily you can! This easy vegan pancake mix makes the most amazing light, fluffy pancakes, which is a good thing as the reluctant teen hoovers down pancakes like they are going out of fashion. He was getting quite peeved that I hadn’t made any for a while…
We love to experiment with adding lots of different fruit to our pancakes. Cherries, berries and bananas all work particularly well. There’s something very satisfying about tucking into a pile of freshly made fruit laden pancakes, served with a big old dollop of vegan-friendly yoghurt or nice cream.
Vegan Pancake Mix Recipe
- 500 ml sifted gluten-free flour (I like to use almond flour for these pancakes, but rice flour is pretty good too)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 500 ml veggie milk (we love hazelnut milk as it tastes all chocolatey and almond milk is pretty good too)
- 3 tbs light olive oil or your choice of a light veggie oil (you’ll need some more for cooking)
- 250 ml fresh or frozen berries or cherries)
- Vegan-friendly natural yoghurt
- Add the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a mixing bowl and stir well
- Pour in your chosen veggie milk and the oil and stir well, until you have a smooth batter
- (If it all goes a bit lumpy, use a hand blended until the batter becomes smooth)
- Set aside half of the berries for decoration.
- If you’re using large berries, chop the remaining half of the berries into smaller pieces, otherwise use your fruit whole
- Stir the berries gently into the pancake batter
- Oil and heat a pancake griddle or frying pan until hot, then ladle in a small amount of batter (you’ll need to experiment to find the perfect size – I like to make mine about with about a 3 to 3 1/2 inch diameter, as I find these pancakes tend to stick when I make them any bigger)
- Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, until the pancake is just starting to take on colour
- Keep the cooked pancakes warm while cooking the rest of the batch
- Pile the pancakes up into a stack, decorate with the remaining fruit and add a good dollop of vegan-friendly natural yoghurt to taste
- Serve immediately and enjoy!