This healthy turkey wrap recipe is perfect if you’re following a gluten-free diet and it’s completely delicious. Loaded with tender lean turkey and wrapped up with crunchy lettuce, you won’t miss the more traditional wraps once you’ve tried them prepared this way! It’s a super quick and easy mid-week supper dish for busy parents!
Turkey Wrap Recipe
This recipe has been thoroughly road-tested by the reluctant teen and three of his pals. The verdict was clear, with empty plates in double-quick time.
- 500g lean turkey mince
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 300g mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 100g basmati rice (or brown rice)
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- Spring onions to garnish
- Very thinly sliced ‘batons’ of carrot and cucumber to garnish
- 2 Iceberg lettuce (or any other lettuce with a good ‘crunch’)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Add the rice to a pan of lightly salted boiling water, stir, and wait for the water to return to a full boil.
- Turn the heat right down to as low as it can go, then cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the rice, then set aside and keep warm.
- Chop the onion, pepper and mushrooms and set aside.
- Chop or crush the garlic (I couldn’t live without my garlic press!)
- Add the olive oil to a heavy pan or wok, toss in the turkey mince and cook until it has all changed colour
- Add the chopped mushrooms, onions and pepper, then the soy sauce. Keep stirring.
- Add the Chinese 5 spice, paprika and Cayenne pepper. Keep stirring so the mixture does not stick to the pan.
- Add the fish sauce and cook until the vegetables and the turkey mince are thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from the heat.
- Slowly, one spoon at a time, add the cooked basmati rice and keep stirring.
- Continue until all of the rice has been added.
- Taste the mixture and add more soy sauce if a deeper flavour is required.
- Add a spoonful of the turkey mince mixture to single lettuce leaves, then wrap into small parcels.
- Serve immediately