I hunted for ages to find a gluten free Chinese chicken recipe to tantalise my taste buds yet meet my healthy eating requirements. I first started eating Chinese food as quite a young child, when my Dad would take us to a local Chinese restaurant to give my Mum a break from cooking for the family. In those days, it was quite different to eat Chinese! I remember the magic of the oriental themed restaurant with stiffly starched white table linen and the prawn crackers my brothers and I fought over. Then there were the waiters appearing with steaming platters piled high with glistening sweet and sour chicken (my Dad’s favourite) and fragrant, sticky rice. Good memories.
Now I eat gluten-free, I’ve had to train myself out of the sweet tooth I had for years, but do still love a bit of sweet and sour as a treat. Here’s the recipe I cook for my son …not a preservative in sight and I know it’s delicious because his school friends always ask for it when they visit for supper.
Gluten Free Chinese Chicken Recipe
Preparation time: 20 minutes.
Total time: 1 hour
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp raw honey (I always use Manuka honey)
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- medium red pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- small onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- medium carrot, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 chopped spring onions
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 12 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower rice
- Mix together the soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes
- Place the chicken in a large shallow dish or plastic container then add the soy sauce mixture to the chicken, making sure the chicken is well covered
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. If you can leave the chicken to marinade overnight or for up to 8 hours, you’ll be rewarded with superb tasting chicken as the marinade will be well absorbed
- Add the chicken and marinade to a smoking hot frying pan (skillet) and sauté for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
- Next add the peppers, carrots, spring onion and onion, and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender
- Add the pineapple and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Sprinkle with coriander, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
This gluten free Chinese chicken recipe looks and tastes wonderful served piping hot piled up on gluten-free cauliflower rice.
We always use chopsticks and funky little Chinese bowls. How do you like to serve yours?