Cabbage steaks? I know if sounds weird but trust me, they are delicious!
Looking for recipes to use up the delicious left over roast garlic after making a batch of garlic infused oil, I found a different but delicious recipe for oven baked cabbage. I’d never thought of roasting cabbage before, but having loved roasted root veggies for years I had to give this a go.
Roasted Garlic Cabbage Steaks
I love to eat cabbage (I know it’s a bit of an acquired taste for some) because it’s so healthy. It’s packed with vitamin K, vitamin C, and vitamin B6. It is also a very good source of manganese, dietary fibre, potassium, vitamin B1, folate and copper. So, I got very excited about the prospect of a new way to cook it. My favourite is the Savoy Cabbage.
I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking for new ways to tempt my son to eat more cruciferous veggies (green food is evil etc.) I’m not saying he’s picky, but cabbage is way down his list of acceptable veggies. It’s Mexican standoff whenever it makes an appearance.
My Grandad used to grow Savoy cabbages
My Granny served them finely sliced with lashings of black pepper and TONS of butter!
Great taste and great memories, but my arteries and I wanted something a little healthier!
I stumbled upon Barb’s version of Alyssa from Everyday Maven’s Roasted Cabbage with Lemon and Garlic. Barb’s recipe is tasty and I encourage you to try it out, but I knew I would have to make some tweaks to turn it into something the boy would eat. I’ve been introducing him to the joys of curry and other spicy Asian foods of late, and to enormous success, so thought that would be a good starting point.
I’d also just made a batch of fragrant and delicious roasted garlic infused oil, and was left with 3 whole bulbs of wonderful roasted garlic that I needed to find a use for. Far too lovely to throw away and although they are amazing to eat as they come out of the oven, there was no way I was going to eat all of them that way. So, I planned to replace the raw crushed garlic in Barb’s recipe with my lovely, sweet roasted garlic – and lots of it!
You’ll love this garlicky, crispy veggie dish!
Recipe: Roasted Garlic Cabbage
- 1 cabbage (I used a crunchy Savoy cabbage, but any type of cabbage works well)
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic oil
- 12 cloves of roasted garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- Pre heat the oven to 150 C / 300 F.
- Discard the outer leaves from the cabbage
- Slice the cabbage into ‘steaks’ approx 1 inch thick, then place in an oven-proof dish
- Squish the soft roasted garlic cloves into the steaks (squidge it well into gaps)
- Shake the smoked paprika and cumin evenly across the steaks, before drenching with the roasted garlic oil.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and place in the oven on the middle shelf
- Bake for about 30 minutes, turning the steaks over about halfway through cooking. Your steaks should be golden brown, with delicious crispy edges.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
These cabbage steaks are delicious on their own as a snack or topped with goats cheese if you want something a little more filling. And I’ve experimented with adding crumbled blue cheese 5 minutes before the end of cooking too, so it’s all melty and toasted. To. Die. For!!
I’m not saying this is the boy’s new favourite dish, but he has eaten them, which is a big result in my book!